Apollo Municipal Theatre:
The Apollo Municipal Theatre (copy of Milan’s ladder), dominates the center of Patras, in Geogiou square and it was built in 1872 by the German architect Ernesto Tsiller, who also designed the beautiful building of the Merchants’ association and several temples in Aigio.
Psilalonia: In Psilalonia, a green area that is a great natural balcony to the sea, you will find the statue of Palaion Patron Germanos.
Dassylio (Grove): In the Upper Town starts Dassylio, a pine-clad hill called the “terrace” of Patras for the spectacular views it offers. On this hill is the Roman castle. It is built on the ruins of the ancient citadel of Justinian, about 800 meters from the coast with amazing views of the Gulf of Patras. The castle took its present form in the early 13th century AD by the Franks conquerors and it worths studying it, because it rolls out a major piece of the city’s history.
Roman Odeon: Built to the west of the citadel in the old Patras area, it is kept in excellent condition. The conservatory was built in the 2nd century AD and has a capacity of 2.500 people. It is considered one of the oldest theaters in Greece.
Pantocrator Church: The Church of Pantocrator was built according to the plan St. Sophia in Istanbul. The temple is a miniature of St. Sophia with a history that goes back to centuries. At the point where there is the church, in ancient times it was built the temple of Olympian Zeus.
Church of St. Andrew: The Church of St. Andrew. The old church was built in 1836-1843 in the place where there was a sanctuary of Demeter. At the same point in 66 AD found crucified death the first disciple of Christ and patron saint of the city. The jewel of Patras, the youngest church of St. Andrew, was founded in 1908 with a capacity of 7.000 people and it is the city’s patron saint. It is the largest temple in Greece and the largest Byzantine church in the Balkans. Inside there is the skull of the saint and part of the Cross in which he martyred.
Mycenaean Cemetery: The Mycenaean Cemetery is located only 7 km. outside Patras, in the settlement Voudeni. The cemetery dates back to 1500-1100 BC and occupies an area of 80 acres.
Old Municipal Hospital: An impressive neoclassical building which is the creation of the Danish architect Hansen. Today, it operates as a cultural center.
Roman Bridge: At the northern entrance of Patras is the beautiful double-arched Roman bridge and part of the Via Militariam connecting the city with Aigio.
Winery ACHAIA CLAUSS: One of the most important attractions of Patras, which stands out until today are the facilities of the winery Achaia Clauss. Itis located just 8km from the center of Patras in a green hill with spectacular views.
Founder of the winery was the Bavarian Gustav Clauss who arrived in Patras in 1854 to work in a German raisin export company. Then he bought a vineyard to make his own wine and resulted in the founding of the winery in 1861. The exceptional quality of wines including Mavrodaphne, conquered the Greek and international market.
The visitors can admire the one-century carved oak barrels, the stone buildings and taste fine wines in the traditional wine cellar for the reception of visitors. The stone buildings, the large carved oak barrels with Mavrodafni of a century, the traditional cellar for the reception of visitors and the unique landscape with the breathtaking views attract around 200.000 people annually.
Roman Aqueduct: The Roman Aqueduct was a necessary project in a populous city like Patras and it was made with Roman emperors’ expenses. The Romans built a reservoir in the form of artificial barrier. At that time Patras was going through the greatest prosperity in its history being the gateway of Greece to Italy.
Rion – Antirion Bridge: The newly constructed bridge of Rio – Antirio is an ornament for Patras and the whole Greece. It is a cable-stayed bridge 2.280 meters long, which was completed in 2004. It connects Peloponnese with mainland Greece to the west and up to the rest of Europe.
The Archaeological museum is in the National Resistance Square and it is one of the most important archaeological museums in Greece. It is housed in the old mansion of Karamandani family. Of particular interest are the mosaics, terracotta and alabaster vases, antiquities of Classical, Hellenistic and Roman times, the marble statue of Athena, the great Roman flooring and ceramic classical and Hellenistic period.
The Folk Art Museum, was founded in 1977 and it is housed in a building of Skagiopouleio legacy. Its exhibits include tools of rural life, furniture of popular housing and everyday objects etc. The museum has a library and photographic archive.
The Historical and Ethnological Museum, was founded in 1973 and it is housed in the Hall of Literature and Art. Its exhibits include weapons, table with signatures of 1821 fighters, swords and more.
The Press Museum, was established in 1952 and it is housed in the Journalists Union building. Its exhibits include documents of historical value, rare editions, book collection, etc. One of the most remarkable exhibits of the museum is the official document that the Third National Assembly of the Greeks sent in the first prime minister of Greece Ioannis Kapodistrias (1827), with the signatures of all the fighters.
Parks & Squares
King George’s Square: It is the central square of Patras previously called Kalamogdarti, Otto and after 1862 was called National. In 1863, when the royal throne came to George A’ the square took his name. Today George Square is, as before, the square of political meetings, rallies, cultural happenings and carnival events.
Square of Three Allies (Trion Symmachon Square): The old name of the square was Teloniou (Customs) because there was the customs. Now, bears the name of the Three Allied Powers (England, France, Russia) with Greece in the struggle for liberation.
Olga’s square that bears the name of King’s George wife. The older name was Omonia Square. In this square spent Kostis Palamas his childhood as his house was there. Today, this tree-lined square has renamed to the National Resistance Square.
Boud Square: The square was named by Thomas Boud, who came in Patras in 1843 from England and due to the economic development of the port from the raisin trade, was lured and dealt with it. Today, it has renamed Fighters Square in 1821 as a small tribute to the fighters of the glorious revolution.
Marouda Square: The first name of the square was Giannias to his honor, when the Turks attacked him and his companions refused to surrender. Today, the square bears the name Marouda of the family who lived there.