The Trion Navarchon Square:
It is located in the center of Pylos and it is a real attraction for the city. In the square stands the homonym monument in honor of the admirals Kodrigkton, Derigny, Heyden, who led the historic battle of Navarino. The monument is the work of the Messinian artist Thomopoulou and the unveiling took place in 1930. On both sides of the monument are two brass cannons, a Venetian and a Turkish, taht were carried from the fort Niokastro. At he Trion Navarchon Square you can enjoy your coffee in the shade and coolness of the impressive ancient plane trees, while enjoying a great view of Sfaktiria island.
Paleokastro: North of Pylos, in an exceptionally beautiful bay of Voidokilia Paleokastro dominates, offering a magnificent view of the Aegean Sea. Paleokastro or Palionavarino was built in 1287, at the fortified site of the ancient acropolis of Pylos. Paleokastro played an important role in all military events of Pylos, until the building of Niokastro, on the south side of the harbor, after the silting in the strait of „Sykies“ from the Turks.
Niokastro: At the south entrance of the harbor, on the rocks, stands the imposing Niokastro. The name „Niokastro“ contrasts with the earlier castle „Palaiokastro“. The construction of the fort began in 1573 by the Turks, who wanted to control the southern entrance to the bay of Navarino. After passing in the possession of various peoples, after the liberation of Greece during the Second World War, it was used for a long time as a prison before it was attributed to the Archaeological Service. Inside the castle, you can see among others the Acropolis, the Temple of the Transfiguration and admire the rich collection of the French philhellene Rene Puaux.
Kamares – Hydragogio (Arches – Aqueduct): In Kamares area, 1 km southwest of the Trion Navarchon Square, are parts of two aqueducts, which were built for the water supply of Niokastro. Visitors will be amazed by the Venetian water supply system. The area got its name from the alleged continuous arcades of the old Venetian Aqueduct.
Antonopoulos Museum: It is Hosting findings from excavations in the area of Pylos, which are chronologically placed in Mycenaean, Achaean, Hellenistic and Roman times. Here you can also admire a part of a great collection of relics that it had been collected by the french Rene philhellene Puaux and offered to Pylos so as to form a first component of the Museum of Navarino. In June 1930, the municipality of Pylos declared Rene Puaux honorary citizen in order to thank him for his valuable contribution. The construction of the museum was completed in 1958 with a donation of the dentist Christos Antonopoulos, who came from Pedasus and was an immigrant in America.
The House of Kostis Tsiklitiras: Pylos is the birthplace of the Olympic champion Kostis Tsiklitiras. On the coastal road of the town is the house, which will soon house the Library-Municipal Gallery. Kostis Tsiklitiras won the gold medal in the long jump at the Stockholm Olympics in 1912. During the Balkan Wars requested to be at the forefront of the battle, although it could be as Olympic found in the rear. There, he was infected with meningitis and died six months after the great distinction in Stockholm.
The Palace of Nestor: Located 15 km from Pylos, on the hill of Englianos, it is the best preserved Mycenaean palace and differs from the others in that it is surrounded by cyclopean walls. In the complex buildings are officially apartments, wine stores, sideboard and workshops. They distinguish the large rectangular ‚throne room‘ with the circular fireplace, the bathroom with the ceramic sink, and the warehouses with the numerous storage vessels. The palace had two floors and it was decorated with colorful murals. It was destroyed by fire in the late 13th century BC. From the palace, you can enjoy a lovely view over the bay of Navarino and the lagoon Voidokilia.
Islands Sfaktiria-Tsichli Mpampa-Helonaki: In front of the port of Pylos, there is Sfaktiria island. On the island there is a monument of Greek heroes in the battle of Sfaktiria, including among them the names of Tsamados, Sahinis and Anagnostaras. Here also there are the French officer’s Male monument, the grave of the philhellene Paul Bonaparte -the nephew of Napoleon, the monument of the philhellene Count Santarosa, who died in the battle of Sfaktiria, the Russian war memorial in the Battle of Navarino, the chapel Ascension (Panagoula) and the Russian style church of St. Nicholas. On the south side of Sfaktiria is Tsichli Mpampa islet, where there is the monument of French heroes in the Battle of Navarino. Helonaki island is located in the port of Pylos where there is the monument of the British fallen in the Battle of Navarino.
The Lagoon of Yalova: The location and the configuration of Pylos, make the area an important habitat. The lagoon of Gialova or Divari, is a place of unique natural beauty and importance, and it has been designated as an area Natura 2000. The area of the lagoon has a great wealth of flora and fauna, and it is an immigration station for numerous birds. The lagoon of Gialova is the only part of Europe, where it finds refuge the African Chameleon, which is endangered species. The visitors can be guided to the lagoon by the volunteers of the Greek Ornithological Society, observe birds with telescopes and learn about the ecological value of the area.
Polylimnio: On the route from Pylos to Messinia, in the community Xaravgi of the municipality Voufrados, it is located Polylimnio, a beautiful cluster of many small lakes which create beautiful waterfalls because of the rough terrain. The cascade of Kadis is falling from a height of 25 meters, creating a spectacular natural setting.
Churches: In Pylos it worths to visit the majestic church of Panagia Myrtidiotissa, the chapel of St. Nicholas with its magnificent views, and the churches of St. Saviour and the Virgin Ripainas.