It is a small river that flows in the plateau of Karkala region at 1.000 meters altitude. The river has a length of 23 km and flows into the Alpheus River in Karitena region.
According to Pausanias and local tradition, named Lucius because there bathed the father of the gods Zeus, when he was born. The springs which are located in the ancient Gortynia, gather an impressive volume of water. The water of Lousios is known from antiquity for its coldness, which is maintained and during the summer months.
Many mountain activities and sports take place throughout the year, such as rafting, trekking, canyoning and kayak.
Gorge Lousios: All along the area that crosses Lucius, forms one of the most beautiful gorges of the Peloponnese, Gorge Lousios . A canyon with a long history and rare natural beauty. Impressive lush vegetation that stretches to all the canyon slopes while the intact landscape works like a natural cleaning mechanism, providing growing of the flora and living of the fauna.
In the gorge there is a great variety of plants and also is the shelter of many wild species of animals and birds. In the ponds of Lucius there are trouts indicating the purity of the river water.
The Clock of Dimitsana: Near the market center of Dimitsana, next to Agia Kyriaki is the fine marble and majestic clock factory hosting the „clock of Dimitsana“. The clock was sent from Dimitsana people of New York in 1900. The foundation of the project took place in 1928 and was completed in 1934. You will admire its art and architecture, its grandeur, its nobility and beauty.
The Monastery of Panagia Emialon: 3 km east of Dimitsana it is located the monastery of Panagia Emialon which has a guest house. It is built at the root of a rock in a wooded and green area at an altitude of 900 meters, next to Dimitsana – Stemnitsa road.
Of particular interest is the wooden temple of catholic and its icons as well as the murals preserved in very good condition, wonderful examples of Byzantine iconography.
The Monastery of St. John the Baptist: It is located on the left bank of Lucius, 14 km south of Dimitsana. It is built on the root of a towering, vertical rock at an altitude of about 500 meters. In the area dominates the wild and imposing landscape with lush vegetation.
The frescoes are of exquisite art and according to the researchers are painted in the late 16th or early 17th century. You can also visit the Monastery of Kalami dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. Andrew of Gortyna.
The Philosopher’s Monastery: It was built in 963 and it is located approximately 11 km west of Dimitsana, on the shores of a river in a beautiful ravine. In this monastery, during the Ottoman domination functioned the Secret School.
Today, is preserved the temple of the monastery which is a masterpiece and one of the most beautiful monuments of Byzantine art. The monastery is dedicated to the Assumption.
Churches: In Dimitsana there are many Byzantine churches, seven of which are from the 17th, 18th and 19th century. All temples are masterpieces of traditional architecture that will impress visitors. Some of these churches are, the church of Agia Kyriaki located opposite to the library and it is the Cathedral of Dimitsana, Saint George, Saint Efthimios, Holy Archangels and Saint John.
The Library of Dimitsana: It is located in the square of the church of Agia Kyriaki and is a continuation of the School of Dimitsana while today is considered exemplar of provincial library.
It was ounded in 1764 by two monks Gerasimos Gounas and Agapios Leonardos. Originally it served as seminary, which during the years of Ottoman many known hierarchs of the Nation had attended. However, during the 1821 Revolution suffered major damage, since much of the books were used in the manufacture of cartridges.
It is a lending library that has about 35.000 volumes including a collection of manuscripts from the 14th century, documents such as the Patriarchal documents and old versions of large publishing companies of abroad dating from the 16th century. From its old volumes were rescued about 600. Among others, the library contains the bones of Palaion Patron Germanos in brass urn and the saddle of Papaflessa’s horse.
In 1977 it was honored by the Academy of Athens with a gold medal.
The Ecclesiastical Museum: It is the realization of the idea of the Bishop of Gortyna & Megalopolis Mr. Theophilus and the decisively contribution of the great Benefactor Panagiotis Angelopoulos and his brother Dimitrios.
The exhibits of the museum include paintings with the most important that of the image of St. George, Haghioritic art of 1808, the tribute of Gregory E. Agios Georgios Dimitsanis, holy liturgies utensils, Holy Gospels, crosses, hand-embroidered vestments and holy prelates etc.
The Open Air Water Power Museum: Located 2 km east of Dimitsana next to the kefalari of „Ai Giannis“ (St. John). It is a space in which during the pre-industrial period a large industrial complex was operating and had as driving force the water from the springs of Ai Giannis.
Today, the complex is fully restored and a mill, a fulling mill, a raki cauldron and a tannery have been maintained. The information and audiovisual tour of visitors is excellent.
Kefalari Ai Giannis and the powder mill: The well-known kefalari of Ai Giannis, is located 2 km east of Dimitsana. Next to it is the chapel of St. John, in a green natural setting. There you can see a restored powder mill while six gunpowder mills are around the town.
Fountains: At Dimitsana stands the magnificent fountain of Mustafa.
Mansions: You can visit the houses of Patriarch Gregory V and Patron Germanos, whose statues adorn Dimitsana, along with other fighters in 1821. The house of Gregory E has been restored and houses the ecclesiastical museum. Other masterpieces of traditional architecture is the Tower Xenia and the manor of Kazakos.
Ancient Gortyna: Near Dimitsana is the region of ancient Gortys, who was one of the largest Arcadian cities of antiquity and where the sanctuary of Asclepius. It is built on the right bank of Lussius at altitudes from 340 meters, within which are the temple of Asklepios and spas and reaches 480 meters located the Acropolis of Gortyna.
National Trail 32: From Dimitsana passes the path 32 which is an offshoot of the European distance path E4 GR. The trail reaches Zygovitsi from Vytina and from Zygovitsi is directed to Dimitsana-Palaiochori-Monastery of the Philosopher-Secret School-Monastery of St. John the Baptist continues to Karytaina and ends in Gythio.
Mainalon Ski Resort: In the mountains of Mainalo on the top of Ostrakina at an altitude of about 1770 meters is running a modern ski resort. Since the winter of 2004, the ski center has passed to the private company OSTRAKINA AETE.
Ski Center Mainalo has 8 great ski slopes, a special park for ATV motorbikes, central chalet for coffee or lunch, snowbar, shelter and four ski lifts. Its special position among the firs, the easy access, the great natural beauty and the rich flora and fauna make it particularly attractive.