Tinos: The island of Virgin Mary


Tinos, the island of Panagia Evagelistria (Virgin Mary), belongs to Cyclades Complex. It is the third Cycladic Island in size after Andros and Naxos and it is 195 square kilometers. Its coastline is 114 kilometers and it is located south-eastern of Andros and north-western of Mykonos.

Tinos Island was named after its first settler, Tinos. In the ancient times it was called “Ofiousa” (from the Greek word “ofis” that means snake) because of the large amount of snakes and Idrousa” (from the Greek word “idor” that means water) because of the abundant running water around the island.

In Tinos there is plenty of slate, marble and granite. The highest mountain of Tinos is Tsiknias (1.713 m). Apart from Tsiknias, Tinos has three other mountains, Miroviglia (649 m), Kehrovouni (604 m) and Xombourgo (558 m).

On 15th of August, just before the Greek-Italian war, the Italians hit the Hellenic war ship Elli, In the harbour of Tinos.

Tinos Map

Tinos Attractions & Surrounding Area

Τhe Church of Panagia Evagelistria (Virgin Mary): The history of the church begins with a vision. In 1822 the Blessed Virgin appeared to a nun (Pelasgia) in the convent of Kechrovouni. The nun was told o a buried icon, and in 1823, after searching, an image of the Virgin was found. A church now stands on the spot where the miracle-working icon was discovered, and each year countless pilgrims come to revere it.

Numerous reports of miracles of healing rapidly increased the fame of the Church of the Megolohari, with the result that today the sacred icon is the most venerated pilgrimage item of the Greek nation. Panagia Evagelistria is celebrated every August 15 th.

Religious Art: Although the majority of the icons exhibited here are from the 18 th and 19 th centuries the oldest were created in the 14 th and 15 th centuries. The collection also has a number of sacred pictures from the famous Tinos painter, Nikiforos Lytras, and various wood carvings both large and small.

Holy convent of Kechrovouni: Its history dates back to the 10 th century and has been closely linked to Tino’s church of Panagia Evagelistria. Today, the religious community houses about fifty nuns who live in what resembles, behind the convent walls, a small village. It is an important place of pilgrimage and Pelasgia’s cell can still be seen.

Church of Panagia Mary Vrisiotissa: During the course of Venice ‘s 500-year long domination of Tinos island, Catholism was introduced to the island. Today approximately a third of the population are Catholics, and for them the church of the Virgin Mary Vrisiotissa and its image of the Virgin Mary is their most significant place of worship. The icon was discovered at the beginning of the 17 th century thanks to a vision axperienced by a reclusive nun. Later the icon was taken to Constantinople and was only returned to the church in 1937 after many efforts that lasted 100 years.

Archeological Museum: It is located near the temple of Panagia. There are findings from various areas of the island, statues from the Archaic and Classical periods, ceramics from various epochs and amphorae dating from 7 th century B.C.

Art Gallery: There are replicas of painting of grand painters of the Renaissance (Titsiano, Veroneze, and others). The Holy foundation also has a vestry with ecclesiastic relics, an exhibition with replicas of icons of the Virgin Mary, from various eras and techniques, library with rare books and also a hall with ecclesiastic, liturgical vessels and pontificals.

The wall of the ancient city: Βehind the church of Panagia, follows 1500 meters lengthwise the old road of Ktikados-Tripotamos

Τhe ancient Temple of Poseidon and Amfitriti: It was built west of the present city in the position of Kionia.
In the beginning of the past century excavations took place and the entrance of the temple, statues, water reservoir and a solar clock made from white marble were found. The exact date of the construction of this temple is not known and it is considered to be before the 5th century B.C.

Τhe Exobourgo archaeological site in Kambos with findings from the Geometric era until 5 th century B.C.


Kionia: It is located 3 km away from Chora and offers a panoramic view to the Aegean Sea. Here you will find the ancient sanctuary of Poseidon and Amfitriti and an amazing sandy beach for swimming.
At a distance of one km west of the village, among the coastal rocks of the homonymous bay is formed the entrance of the Gastria caves with a 50 meters length and an internal with many inscriptions.

Kambos: It is an impressive village at a distance of 10km from Chora. Here you will find the only operating windmill of the island, the 200 dovecots and the endless beach of Agios Romanos where you can enjoy your swim.

Arnados: It is Tino’s highest village, located on the south flank of the Kechrovouni Mountain . It is close to the convent that bears the mountain’s name. Visit the church museum to see old icons, books, and other religious articles.

Isternia: It is built on steep slope, above Isternia Bay, offering spectacular view. A village where one can see marble work at its churches and its squares. It is the birthplace of various well-known artists of Tinos.

BEACHES: Agios Ioannis Porto, Agia Kyriaki, Agios Romanos, Agios Fokas, Kionia, Kolymbithra, Panormos, Agios Sostis, Agios Petros.

How to get there

By ferry from Piraius, Rafina and Thessaloniki and by catamaran from Piraius and Rafina.
From Tinos you can reach many Cycladic islands by ferry or hydrofoil.

Tinos Photos

Tinos Useful Telephone Numbers (Calling code for Greece 0030)

Port authority of Piraius
210 4511 310-7
Hellenic Seaways
210 4199000
Port authority of Rafina
22940 22 300
Minoan Lines
210 4145700
Port authority of Tinos
22830 22348
Health Center
22830 22210
Port authority of Thessaloniki
2310 531504-5
22830 22255
Blue Star Ferries
210 8919800
Tinos Municipality
22830 22234
G. A. Ferries
210 4582640
Post Office
22830 22247